Sunday 20 January 2013

This is how Bafana Bafana can be saved



Mmasekepe Matsebane

I hear people asking, how do we fix Bafana Bafana? Well I have a solution, not that SAFA head honchos will listen to me anyway, but if you see them, tell them Mmasekepe Matsebane can fix their problems.
Here is how it goes. We all know already that Bafana is a lost cause. As things stand, we have nothing to lose, now I don’t know what we are trying to defend. To fix the issue from root bottom, here is what I suggest.

SAFA should first start by restructuring itself, or as the citizens of this country, I think we should demand such. A head of Safa should be an ex player who knows all about the football struggles, a great administrator who knows how to make a team win. Someone in the mould of Lucas Radebe, a man par excellence. We all can see that politicizing football and putting people there as a result of political reasons doesn’t do our country any good.

I don’t think where the coach comes from is much of a problem, but the team manager should definitely be an ex Bafana player and I personally think John Shoes Moshoeu or Eric Tinkler fits the bill. Having explayers who have always given great service to this country can definitely change our fortunes.
Now to the real issue, the current Bafana squad. I think there is no denying the fact that the current squad is lukewarm and doesn’t offer much to this country of champions. Yes, you heard me right. The Springboks are champions, the Proteas are champions, Caster Semenya is a champion, Chad Le Clos is a champion, Bafana Bafana…an embarrassment. 

Since we all can see that the current team and Gordon Igesund are not offering much, and then I say we have a total overhaul of the national team. Remove Igesund from the post, get rid of all the players and start afresh. Promote about half of the Unider 20 squad that participated in the 2009 African Youth Championships. Thulani Hlatshwayo, Ramahlwe Mphahlele, Daylon Claasen, Andile Jali, Kamohelo Mokotjo, George Maluleka, Thulani Serero, Kermit Erasmus are the players that should be inducted into the national team. 
Add that with May Mahlangu, Ronwen Williams, Tokelo Rantie, Itumeleng Khune, Anele Ngcongca, Dean Furman, George Lebese, Siyanda Xulu, Lucky Baloyi, Dino Ndlovu, Philani Khwela, Ayanda Patosi and have them form a brand new squad. No chopping and changing have these youngsters play together for a considerable number of years, maybe two and a half, even if they lose. I mean we are all used to that already. I believe these players can change the fortunes of this proud country.
Instead of going to Chiefs, Pirates and Sundowns, I think academies like Transnet Sports School of Excellence and Africa Sports Academy should be given more attention as they might give us the best young talent from all across the country.

Like I said before, Bafana is a lost cause and we certainly have nothing to lose, but we can still save the situation. I have more on this, and I am worried this page won’t be enough, but I can sure explain this vision better if you give me your time. I call it Vision 2018, the team that can reach the semifinals of the 2018 Russia World Cup and win two Africa Cup of Nations crown. I think we have great players in South Africa, we just need to nurture them and use them properly. I think I might have just saved Bafana Bafana, but hey, wait, who am I to make this kind of suggestions? 

Just go on and feel sorry for them, you don’t listen to anyone anyway.

mmmasekepe@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment