Sunday 27 January 2013

Fickle South African Fans

Mmasekepe Matsebane

Last night when Bafana were trailing with only nine minutes into the game, people were already pushing panic buttons, questioning Gordon Igesund’s team selection and why May Mahlangu remained in the team for the second half.

Igesund did not panic, he understood Morocco’s game plan and he knew very well that they were gonna go for an early goal as for them it was all or nothing. His team kept its shape, just a couple of errors from Captain Bongani Khumalo almost cost us, but let me not single out a player as he cleaned those mistakes with some outstanding tackles.

Back to the fickle fans before I digress any further. When the team went to the half time break, even analysts were suggesting that Mahlangu should make way for Letsholonyane (I don’t think I should go into what happened when Letsholonyane came on).

It was always a big ask to play with only two central midfileders against a team that always had nine players in their own half whenever Bafana was in possession, and the outcomes were the same all the time. Either Dean Furman or Mahlangu were always dispossessed, or Furman made a back pass, the reason is simple, two players can never pass five players. Our strikers were further afield, not even caring about the extra work that our two competent midfielders were put to the sword.
The second half came, May Mahlangu showed his brilliance, a world beating body shake move, three Morocco defenders went with him, plays a pass, goes into space, he receives a pass back, one turn, click click, Bang, it’s in. Townships erupt into uncontrollable joy, it’s like the team took the lead. The same prophets of doom are now reminding people that Mahlangu should remain in the field, he is by the way, the 2011 Swedish Player of the Year. Yeah, we know, but you wanted him out.

And the fans? Should I go into that? Oh well, they also went into a frenzy, they were singing Mahlangu’s praises, I even heard one say Gordon is the best ever, but apparently, he was stupid some 35 minutes ago. Yes, I also think Igesund is used to that by now. Even Adre Villas Boas of Tottenham Hotspurs said that you win a game today, you are a hero, tomorrow you lose and you are called a donkey, so don’t worry Gordon, your five titles with five different teams proves you are good, and now you guiding the team to a quarterfinal in over ten years deserves a standing ovation, now don’t doubt yourself.

Minutes go, passes made, passes missed, then Khumalo once again fails to clear danger in the centre of defence, Morocco scores, Bafana is hated. The players, called heroes just 15 minutes ago, are now called buffoons who play with the nation’s emotions. Gordon keeps the hope, and tells the players to keep the pressure, to go for that goal. He was right, like he always is. Up stepped one clinical striker-cum-defender (If that’s the word). Siyabonga Sangweni. The man who is to Bafana, what Branislav Ivanovic is to Chelsea. A modern day Taribo West, a beast, a star. He sees it coming, great first touch, and a La Liga turn and then he picks his spot and we all know happened after that. 

I would assume that the noise was almost the same as the one in 1996 when Bafana won the Afcon, 2010 when Simphiwe Tshabalala buried that scotcher. 
Hey, it was the same fans who wanted Mahlangu out, who wanted Gordon gone who are now praising the team as heroes and warriors. Right as they are, their fickle behavior is a concern to me. Ask them if we trailed two times yesterday, they probably don’t remember


Bafana fans need to learn from Bloemfontein Celtic supporters. When their team is in danger, when they are one or two goal down, the fans never lose hope, they continue singing, and they spur the team on. Ask Orlando Pirates, they know all about that. Five minutes with the game almost done, scoreline read Cetic 1-3 Pirates and do you still remember the fans led by Botha? Side by side they were going, clapping hands, bum jive, it was “Siwele wele siwele, Siwele-wele, Siwelele ma, siwelewele ma, Siwelele ma..Siwelele wele sa Masele”, and that was what the players needed. It was 3-3 at fulltime. 

Now, if Bafana fans had continued rallying behind the team, vuvuzelas in full blast, Shosholoza amplified, we could have given Morocco a battering.

Let’s stop loving the boys when they do well and crush them when they hit a rough patch, its football, you lose some, you win some, and that does not make you terrible overnight. 



Am I a fickle fan? Maybe I am, but I try to be patriotic. I learnt something yesterday. Maybe Bafana is not really loved, people pretend to love it when it’s doing well. I say the boys are heroes, Gordon is a star coach. If I was president, I was going to make him Major general (If there is such a rank) and as for Khune and Sangweni, they were going to be the President’s men. 

Bafana Kaofela.

mmmasekepe@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. First off I want to say great blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.
    I have had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
    I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes
    tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any suggestions or tips? Kudos!

    Feel free to visit my web site ... anti cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking your time to read my blog. Well I don't have a real plan as to how I start writing, but what I can tell you is that once I have an idea, I just go for it and other backing ideas just come flowing. For example, I just saw how the fans behaved, the analysts and for me it was a point of interest and once I started writing about it, other ideas just came. Intros are always hard to come, but if you are sure of an idea, just put it down, you will surprise yourself. You can always catch my articles on a daily basis in the New Age newspaper.

    ReplyDelete